Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hi Family and Friends,
This is going to be a blog on all of the updates for Bruce. Carolyn is receiving a lot of phone calls from family and friends. She loves hearing from everyone, but there are times when she is in the ICU with Bruce and is not able to answer all of the calls. This is the reason she has asked me to start a blog. I apologize in advance for any inaccuracies that occur in this blog. My information is coming from several family members.
I am planning on starting from the beginning (last Monday) because eventually this is something that Bruce is going to read and we already know that there are some things that he does not remember.
On Monday, November 9, 2009 around 6:30 p.m. Bruce and Quinn were on the roof of an addition that was being added to the garage. Bruce ended up falling off of the roof backwards. We are not sure if he stood up and got dizzy or if he stepped back.
An ambulance took him to Utah Valley Regional Hospital. They began to do a CT scan and determined that he had broken the C17 and T1 vertebrae in his neck. They tried putting Bruce's neck in traction to realign everything but his muscles are too strong and nothing would move. Emergency surgery was performed on Monday night. The doctor was impressed to perform the surgery from the front of his neck and not the back. Because of this, the surgery was very successful.
On Tuesday, Bruce kept pointing to his arm. They did x-rays and found he had also broken his wrist. A specialist is going to come and look at that later.
His current condition is that he is still on a respirator. Because of the swelling in his neck they know if they take it out they will not be able to get it back in. He has movement in his arms and has mouthed that he can feel pins and needles in his legs although he is not able to move them. Once the swelling goes down in his neck and back they will know the extent of damage done to his legs.
He is currently in a neck brace. The hospital has ordered a halo and they will do that surgery next Tuesday. He will be on the respiratory until all of the swelling goes down in his neck and face.
This morning he has come down with a temperature. A couple of cultures have been taken to determine the cause. Most likely he will be in the ICU for a couple of weeks and then will be in the hospital for a couple more months. The doctors have said that it will take at least a year for a full recovery.
Once we have more information we will post it here. Feel free to leave any comments or note of concern addressed to Carolyn or the family here. We will also make sure to get any comments to Bruce.
Carolyn wants to express her deepest gratitude to all of the family and friends that have helped her get through this hard time. Your prayers on Bruce's behalf are felt and appreciated.


  1. Hey Guys,
    Just wanted to let you know that you're in our thoughts and prayers! In fact I think that Gary and Alyssa pray for Uncle Bruce atleast four times a day. Love you!
    Roy, Heather, Alyssa, Gary, and Steven Taylor

  2. There are a lot of thoughts and prayers coming your way from Cedar City. It may be 3 hrs away, but we would do anything for you guys - just let us know.

    We love you!
    Gary, Lindsay, Weston, Isaac, Andrea, and Miles Keith

  3. I'm in tears...We love you all, and are praying here too.

    Love, Jenny, Bill and family

  4. So sorry to hear about this happening. Much love, concern and special blessings for Bruce, Carolyn and your family at this time.